Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Climbing from Modiin to Neve Ilan

Two weeks ago, Bob called me up and invited me to a night ride from Park Canada (aka Park Ayalon) to Neve Ilan - I pleaded busy with other things (like preparing the torah reading for Shabat) but I was actually unsure I could hack it.

This Sunday (Aug 20, 2006) I rode from Modiin to Neve Ilan - left at 5:00AM towards Moshav Mevo Horon, by 5:20 I was climbing up a slightly rocky but not difficult incline, labelled "black trail" and before 6:00 I was climbing towards Neve Ilan - 5.5km, and a grade of 5-8%. Well - let's just say that less than half-way up, I started running out of gas and walked a couple of the tougher stretches.

Just before Neve Ilan, I got a flat tire, my spare had a hole and the original had a broken nipple. Took a plastic bag and wrapped it around the tire, between the plastic bag and the goo, and frequent stops to pump in air - I made to Neve Ilan by 8:00. Tried riding back down the first big hill and the tire was obviously in no shape to take me home - well maybe to the Neve Ilan gas station - about 3 km in the other direction.

No point tempting fate... fast forward to the end - I called up my son Shlomi, got him out of bed and ordered a pickup at the Neve Ilan gas station. It's great having drivers on tap like that...

No comments: